Press Release Tuesday 22nd of February 2011.
Direct Democracy for the people of DUBLIN SOUTH CENTRAL!
Media Queries: Joe – 087 2044407, E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 086 817 6506 or logon to https://votegerrykelly.wordpress.com/
At last the end is in sight – Gerry Kelly urges ALL voters to exercise their precious right to vote. In a World where people are paying the ultimate price for this freedom, we owe it to our brothers & sisters in North Africa and the Middle East and elsewhere to use their hard-earned power & vote for REAL change in Ireland.
Yes, our democracy is (deeply) flawed & yes, there is much anger and cynicism, but NOT voting maintains the Status Quo, and, I believe, is a grievous insult to those bravely standing up to win the same rights we enjoy.
Some issues from the people of Dublin South Central:
- We need a proper thought-out policy on immigration & integration. We should learn from best practice in countries like Canada and Australia. People feel there is an uncontrolled free-for-all that only benefits the rich/big business rather than a structured plan to build a cohesive,integrated & dynamic society. Both Irish and immigrants feel this must be addressed at a time of huge unemployment & emigration
- Housing is a major issue. The Govt is paying out approx. € 500 million annually to private landlords. There is no control or standards in private rented accommodation. Why are private tenants not entitled to certain standards, as is the case in much of Western Europe
- Housing – can we have a 3-year freeze on house repossessions ? Why are banks & building societies owned by the State ( taxpayer ) allowed threaten citizens with losing their homes ?
- Housing – why are so many private tenants unhappy with estate management companies & maintenance fees? Why is it so difficult to hold management companies to account ?
- The cuts are hitting the poorest & weakest hardest. Why does this always seem to be the way in Ireland ? When will the top Civil Servants, Politicians Senior Civil Servants, etc bring their pay into line with other much wealthier western countries. Why is our “Republic” such a 2-tiered society ?
Speaking at Dublin South Central Forum, Ballyfermot Civic Centre, Dublin 10. 7.30pm, Wednesday 23rd of February.
Speaking at Independent Candidates Forum, The Mezz Venue, Eustace Street, Temple Bar, D. 2. 9.30pm, Wednesday 23rd of February.
CHANGE THE SYSTEM, NOT THE JUST THE POLITICIANS.
VOTE FOR REAL CHANGE.
VOTE FOR OPENNESS, ACCOUNTABILITY, TRANSPARENCY & REAL LOCAL DEMOCRACY.
POWER TO THE PEOPLE, THE CITIZENS, THE TAXPAYERS.
VOTE FOR BEST PRACTICE – NOT WORST – THROUGHOUT OUR STATE.
Gerry Kelly, Independent, Direct Democracy, Dublin South Central.